Family Visa > Child Visa > Dependent Child Visa (Subclass 445)

Dependent Child Visa (Subclass 445)

Happy Asian family using tablet, laptop for playing game watching movies, relaxing at home for lifestyle concept

This child visa allows a dependent child who is not born in Australia to stay temporarily whilst their parent’s visa application. The visa will last as long as it takes for the parent’s visa application to be processed.

Get Your First 15 Minutes Free

Schedule Your Consultation Now!

Who is this Visa suitable for?

This visa is suitable for the children of parents/ guardians who are Australian citizens or permanent residents. The visa acts as a temporary stay provision whilst processing of the adult visa occurs.

What this Visa lets you do?

  • Temporary residency in Australia whilst the parent’s application process is being submitted.

  • Holders can work and study in Australia.

  • Holders can travel to and from Australia.

  • Holders can enrol in Medicare, after their parent’s permanent partner visa application has been submitted.

  • Holders can sponsor other family members to come to Australia and apply for Australian citizenship.

Visa Requirements

  • The parent must hold a visa subclass (309, 820 or 445).

  • Child must be under 18 years (or)

  • Be financially dependent on their parents, such as a full-time student between the ages of 18-25 (or)

  • Over 18 and living with a disability that makes them unable to work.

  • The child can apply for Australian citizenship as an alternative to a permanent residency visa if eligible.

How to Apply?

With Australian Immigration & Visa Services on your side, you can trust that our registered immigration agents will guide you through the entire application process and be there to support you along the way.


Gather Documents

Gather identity, character, documents that can provide evidence of the child’s relationship to the parent, and financial documents. ‘Applicant circumstances’ documents are also required.


Prepare Documents

Translate all non-English documents translated into English. Scan or photograph all your documents (English and non-English) in colour.


Lodge Application

The application can occur whilst the child is either in or outside Australia. You must apply for this visa on paper.

Frequently Asked Questions

The child can study and work.

Don’t know which visa to apply for?

With AIVS’ Australian visa specialists, we can help you find a solution to your visa needs, and assist you with any questions you may have about which visa is suitable for your specific circumstances.