Skilled Independent Visa (Subclass 189)
This skilled visa has two eligibility streams, for invited workers eligible holders of Hong Kong and British National (Overseas) passports with the skills required to work and live permanently in Australia. The New Zealand stream has closed to new applicants from 1 July 2023.
Who is this Visa suitable for?
People that fit one of the three stream eligibility criteria that are looking for permanent residency within Australia.
What this Visa lets you do?
Permanently live in Australia.
Holders can work and study in Australia.
Holders can enrol in Medicare.
Holders can sponsor other family members to come to Australia and apply for Australian citizenship.
You can freely travel to and from Australia for up to 5 years.
Points Tested Stream
- Register interest with a EOI (expression of interest) in SkillSelect.
- You must be nominated or invited for this visa by an Australian state/ territory. This will occur after registering an EOI.
- Declare that you have a suitable skills assessment at the time of invitation. (Obtained within the 3 years before the date of your invitation.)
- Be under age 45.
Hong Kong Stream
- Must hold an eligible existing visa (457, 482 or 485)
- Resident of Australia for 4 years.
- Must have functional English skills.
How to Apply?
With Australian Immigration & Visa Services on your side, you can trust that our registered immigration agents will guide you through the entire application process and be there to support you along the way.
The application process will vary depending on the stream. Points Tested Stream applicants will require an expression of interest and skills assessment to be produced.
Frequently Asked Questions
You will need a minimum of 65 points to pass, but you may be invited quicker if your points are higher.
The invitation rounds are conducted by the department of Home Affairs on a quarterly basis.
The minimum score is 65 points but the higher your points the better chances of getting the visa.
Schedule Your Australian Visa Consultation Appointment
With AIVS’ registered visa migration agents, we can help you find a solution to your visa needs, and assist you with any questions you may have about which visa is suitable for your specific circumstances.