Family Visa > Parent Visa > Contributory Parent Visa (Subclass 173)

Contributory Parent Visa (Subclass 173)

Happy three 3 age multi generation men family old grandfather young adult grown son father and child boy grandson having fun using laptop computer spend time browsing internet at home sit on sofa

This parent visa is a temporary 2 year visa that allows a parent/ legal parent/step-parent/parent in-law of an Australian citizen or permanent resident to live in Australia.

Get Your First 15 Minutes Free

Schedule Your Consultation Now!

Who is this Visa suitable for?

This visa is suitable for the parents or legal guardians of Australian citizens/ permanent residents. It allows the holder to visit temporarily if they want to visit their children living in Australia.

What this Visa lets you do?

  • Temporarily live in Australia for 2 years.

  • Applicants can extend their stay to live permanently in Australia by applying for a subclass 143 application.

  • Holders can work and study in Australia, however no government support is provided.
    Holders can apply for Medicare.

  • You can include any members of the family unit in this application.

Visa Requirements

  • Applicants require an approved sponsor, usually your child or eligible relative.

  • At least half of your children (step/ adopted children as well) fall into the eligible category of Australian citizens or permanent residents.

  • Must be the parent or legal guardian of the parent sponsor.

  • Must be over the age of 18.

  • Must not have had a visa cancelled or previous application refused.

How to Apply?

With Australian Immigration & Visa Services on your side, you can trust that our Australian registered migration agents will guide you through the entire application process and be there to support you along the way.


Gather Documents

Gather all your documents, including for any partner or dependants who might be applying with you. You will also need your sponsor documents.


Prepare Documents

Translate all non-English documents translated into English. Do not certify police certificates, you need to send the originals. Have all other documents a certified copy. Keep a copy of your completed application.



Apply On Paper

You must apply for this visa on paper. You can apply from inside or outside Australia.

Frequently Asked Questions

Which visa to apply for will depend on if your parent/s meet the family of balance test, their age, and various other factors.

I would recommend making an appointment to assess your circumstances further.

Schedule Your Australian Visa Consultation Appointment

With AIVS’ immigration visa consultants and sponsored parent visa immigration agents we can help you find a solution to your visa needs, and assist you with any questions you may have about which visa is suitable for your specific circumstances.